Monday 5 January 2009

And so it begins…

Or rather so it began because unlike most people who are just starting back at work today I have been back at work since midnight on New Year’s Eve when after much toing, froing, umming, and ahhing I got fully stuck into my January To Do List and picked up Addition by Toni Jordan a book which I have been supposedly reading for the past five months. The fact that I stopped reading Addition after about a week and started reading several novels in between has got nothing to do with the book’s quality (it was very well written and had a great story) and everything to do with the fact that I have the attention span of a hyperactive gnat. Still, it is done now although the sense of triumph I felt reading the book’s few final sentences was somewhat diminished by the sight out of the corner of my eye of the pile of thirteen (that’s right thirteen!) half read books next to my bed.

Since then, as befits a man who has taken on massive task just at the moment that he least wants to do anything other than lie on a sofa recovering from Christmas, I have been trying my best to stay “on task.” The day after New Year’s Eve I restarted a handful of the books required to tick off item 2 and began turning the house upside in a bid to tick off item 5 “Find missing tie.” The tie (just so that you know) wasn’t just any tie. It was my favourite tie ever. It was a thin and black and the one time I wore it made me feel very trendy but then it mysteriously disappeared thus preventing me from ever feeling trendy again. I turned the house upside looking for it and several times during the search I found myself thinking: “Why don’t I just buy another one?” but then just as I was about to give up I decided to take one last look in the wardrobe that I was sure that I’d thoroughly checked and sure enough, there it was, obscured from view by a comedy tie with tennis rackets on. Even though I wasn’t wearing a shirt with collars on I tried on the tie and it still looked great. I was happy.

Don't forget, for an opportunity to win £100 worth of Hodder books, enter the To-Do List challenge at
www.hodder.co.uk/thetodolist.

No comments: